Like the Page

Total Pageviews

DO YOU FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM? PLEASE DO GUYS :)

Teaser 8 - No One Like You

SEARCH FICTIONS ON THIS BLOG

FREE ON AMAZON PRIME READING

NEW FF: LOVE ME NOT - Chapter 1

 




CHAPTER 1


Arnav Singh Raizada

I stare out the airplane window, dreading this unwanted trip back to India. I have no interest in being here, but Dad insisted I come for Khushi's graduation. I just want to get this over with and return to Manhattan as soon as possible. Aman is enjoying his drink beside me and even flirting with the stewardess. I glare back at him for enjoying this trip while I am sulking and annoyed.

“What?” he asks. “You are not allowed to flirt, I can. I’m still single.”

I roll my eyes. He then turns to the stewardess.

“My friend has been married for three years.”

What the F*ck! She smiles at me.

“His wife is a lucky woman,” she replies serving us the drinks and leaves.

“I don’t understand why are we still friends,” I snap at Aman who chuckles.

“You love me too much to let me go. And besides, we know each other’s secrets you see. And I don’t guarantee you’ll not reveal those to anyone if we turn our back to each other. So being friends is the only choice.”

He is right. I give him a mocking glare. Aman’s friendship is the biggest reason I’m still sane despite all the chaos around me.

"We'll just stay for the graduation ceremony and then fly back within a week," I tell him firmly. "In fact, tell my father we have an important meeting next week so we must rush back. I can't waste time lingering here."

Aman sighs. "What if uncle asks you to bring Khushi back to Manhattan with you? Now that she has graduated, it would make sense for her to join her husband."

I scoff at the thought.

"I highly doubt she would agree to that. Khushi wants nothing to do with me or this marriage. She'll come up with some excuse not to come."

"You both can't avoid each other forever," Aman says. "It's time you two sat down and decided what to do about your relationship. You either divorce, or start spending time together and make this work."

I stare out the window, avoiding the question. I don't know what I want at this point of time. This arranged marriage was forced upon us both.

The plane lands at the Delhi airport and soon we've arrived at the Raizada mansion, my childhood home. I take a deep breath, preparing to face my Dad and the woman who is my wife in name only. Aman is right, things cannot remain uncertain between us forever. But I have no idea what the future holds when it comes to Khushi and me.

I enter the Raizada mansion with Aman, expecting Dad to greet me. But he is nowhere to be seen.

“Sir is not at home,” our servant Hari Prakash informs. “He has already left for Khushi Madam’s graduation ceremony.”



I glance at my watch in confusion.

"But the event doesn't start for another two hours." I mutter.

Aman chuckles.

"C’mon, Arnav. Don't you remember how your dad was at the time of our graduation? He was so excited that he got to the venue three hours early. Of course, he wants to do the same for his beloved daughter-in-law."

I nod, realization dawning on me. I know Dad adores Khushi deeply. He treats her like his own child, the daughter he never had. It's no surprise he went early to get a good seat for her big day.

"You're right," I say to Aman.

"We better get ready quickly so we aren't late either,” he adds.

We head upstairs to our respective rooms. I feel a twinge in my heart. Despite our marriage, Khushi wasn’t staying in Raizada Mansion but at her home with her parents. Dad had agreed to that living arrangement considering I too wasn’t here in India. Yet, she kept frequently visiting Raizada mansion to meet Dad and spend time with him. I wonder what would happen with her living arrangement now that I am here?

**************

Xavier’s College – Graduation ceremony

Aman and I arrive at the graduation venue and spot Dad in the audience. He waves excitedly when he sees me.

“Arnav!” he exclaims as he pulls me into a tight embrace. "I'm so glad you could make it for Khushi's big day."

I hug him back, all the years of distance vanishing in this moment.

"Of course, Dad. I wouldn't have missed it."

He looks hopeful at that statement until I add further. “Only because you wanted me to be here, Dad. I came here for you.”

Dad clenches his jaw.

“I thought after staying this long away from us, you would have been a little sensible in knowing what you are playing with, Arnav. Marriage is not a joke.”

“You made it a joke for me, Dad,” I rebuke. “I never said I wanted to marry a girl who is almost 7 years younger than me. You forced me to marry her.”

“That’s called arranged marriage, Arnav. Not forced marriage. And you know your mother and I had a difference of nine years. We still had the best chemistry in our entire family.”

“Don’t bring Mom into this,” I argue. “Had Mom been alive, she would never have let you force me into marriage.”

Aman clears his throat as if sensing the rising tension between us again.

“Arnav, uncle, the Guptas are coming here. Please calm down.” He says before turning to Khushi’s parents who reach us.

"Namaste, beta," Garima Gupta, Khushi’s mom, greets me kindly. "We are so happy to see you after so long."

“Same here, Aunty,” I reply with a composed smile.

Dad gestures for me to take their blessings. I touch their feet respectfully, as is the tradition with elders.

“How are you uncle?” I ask turning to Khushi’s father Shashi Gupta who gives me a cold smile.

“How would a father be whose daughter still resides with him despite being married off three years ago?” he mocks.

“Shashi,” Garima Aunty interrupts. “Arnav has come back now. What else we want? And it’s Khushi’s graduation day. Let’s be calm and then take the other matters at home, after this event.

Seriously? They seem to have planned a full-fledged discussion over Khushi and my marriage once this event is over, which I am least interested in. Before Shashi Gupta can respond, Aman jumps in.

"We should get seated. The event will be starting soon."

I shoot him a grateful look for intervening. I'm not ready to have any kind of conversation yet.

***************

A few minutes later

I exit the event hall, not even glancing at the crowd of young women vying for my attention. Kids! Well, not exactly kids, are they? What are they, 21 or 22 at most? Still too youthful for me. I begrudge Dad and Aman for landing me into this situation where I’d to be here celebrating my wife’s graduation day. Since I was made to sit between Dad and Shashi Gupta all the time, I could feel that heat from both fathers. The event was about to begin any moment yet I came out on the excuse of making a call, to breathe some fresh air. So far, I haven't had a chance to meet or even catch a glimpse of Khushi yet. Her parents informed me that she was backstage with her friends, preparing her graduation speech. Huh! It's going to be a long day listening to all these young talents deliver their graduation speeches. I don't think I can endure it any longer. I have several stakeholder calls to attend to, and I can't afford to miss them for an event like this. Deciding what I have to do next, I grab my phone and message Aman that I'm leaving, asking him to explain my absence to my father and in-laws, providing them with any excuse.

Suddenly, I hear some commotion. It's coming from a nearby classroom, and I can hear a young man calling out the name 'Khushi.' My curiosity gets the best of me, and I cautiously push the door open, only to witness a young man, dressed in graduation attire, kneeling and holding a girl's hand tightly. The girl is attempting to free her hand from his grip.

"Khushi, I really like you. Ever since you joined this college, I've been trying to summon the courage to propose to you, but I could never do it. Since today is the last day that I'll see you here, I couldn't let the opportunity slip away."

“Rony, are you kidding me? Get up. You're embarrassing me,” she snaps.

That voice! It's her. Khushi Gupta! I crane my neck to get a proper look at her face because, up until now, all I could see was her back, adorned with a black cloak and cap similar to the ones the boy, Rony, was wearing. And then, I see her face. IT IS HER!! What the hell!! I never imagined that I would encounter my wife again like this after three long years, watching another guy propose to her right before my eyes.

“Khushi, I love you.” Rony declares and is about to kiss her wrist, which she's struggling to free from his grasp. That's enough for me. In the next moment, I storm into the classroom, grab Rony's cloak, and forcefully pull him away from Khushi, pushing him against the wall.

“Stay the f*ck away from her,” I growl, pointing a finger at Rony, who appears shocked, embarrassed, and utterly bewildered by what just transpired. I hear a gasp from behind me, undoubtedly coming from the woman I'm married to.

“Who... who are you to tell me to stay away from my Khushi?” Rony manages to stammer. This time, I grab his collar and pin him against the wall once more, my gaze boring into his. If only a stare like mine could blind the opponent permanently.

“I’m her damn husband, and she belongs to me.”

Rony's mouth hangs open as I release him and, without even turning around, take hold of Khushi's delicate wrist and drag her out of the classroom.

Once we are in the hallway, she yanks her hand out of my grip.

"What do you think you're doing?" she yells, glaring at me.

I turn around, my piercing brown eyes locking with hers. I swear I just felt a shiver run down her spine but she stands her ground.

“What are you doing here?” she snaps.

“What am I doing here?” I mutter angrily. “The last time I knew I was here to attend your graduation ceremony. Never thought to witness some tom d*ck and harry propose to you before me.”

“He is not Tom, d*ck or Harry. His name is Rony. And Rony is my classmate. And wait. How could you hurt Rony?”

Anger boils up inside me.

“Then what did you expect me to do? Wish him good luck or cheer him up while he proposed to you?” I scold stepping closer, my eyes blazing. "You are still my wife. And I will not tolerate another man putting his hands on what's mine."

"Wife?” She shoves me back. “Just because we are married on paper doesn't make you my husband. You lost that right the day you chose to walk away and not be a part of my life! I don't belong to you! I'm not a possession you can claim whenever you please. You stay the hell away from me.”

With that, she storms off, fuming. I watch her retreating back, stunned by the fire in her eyes and the defiance in her tone. I hadn’t expected her to be meek, submissive...an adoring fan like all the other women who fawn over me. But I definitely didn’t expect her to stand up to me without hesitation and still protect her classmate who just proposed to her.

“Woah,” Aman reaches me out of nowhere. “Was that Khushi?” he asks with a grin on his face.

I don’t have to answer him. He obviously knows that’s her and what just happened here.

“The day couldn’t have got better,” he teases. “I thought you said you didn’t have any feelings towards your relationship with Khushi. But this definitely didn’t look like you had no feelings.”

I run a hand through my hair, exhaling sharply. What have I gotten myself into? Perhaps I should have handled that better instead of dragging her out like an uncivilized brute. But seeing that bloke Rony touch her...it ignited something primal in me that I've never felt before.

“Shut up, Aman. Someone proposes to my wife before me and you want me to ignore?”

“You can ignore the whole marriage, but cannot ignore someone else wanting the woman you are forcefully married to?”

“Exactly she’s still married to me. That’s why I can’t ignore.”

Aman rolls his eyes.

“Fine. But please come inside with me now and attend the event. Your father was already angered when you left in the pretext of making calls. He sent me to bring you back inside. It wouldn’t look good if coming here you don’t attend the ceremony, Arnav.”

Aman is right. I should be attending the event and not spoil Dad’s mood further. I return to my seat inside the hall as the graduation ceremony begins. One by one, students' names are called and they walk across the stage to accept their degrees.

Then I hear "Khushi Gupta." She steps forward, looking radiant in her graduation robe and cap. She beams as she accepts her certificate and shakes the hand of the chief guest. I find Dad clapping loudly along with her parents. I clap too. My eyes drawing towards Rony who is completely shaken knowing Khushi’s marital status. He even catches me glancing his way and wipes the sweat off his face. A while later, we watch as Khushi and her fellow graduates joyously throw their caps in the air, finally graduated.

Khushi hugs her friends excitedly, laughing and dancing with them. She even gives a few of her close friends a kiss on the cheek in celebration. I recognize them being a part of our wedding too. I might know the name of one of friends- Lavanya, I guess. I’m not sure. Then that bloke Rony approaches her. I stiffen in my seat as he takes her hand and seems to be apologizing. Khushi says something reassuring to him with a kind smile. Before I know it, she pulls Rony into a friendly hug.

At that moment, her eyes lock with mine. Her smile disappears and her gaze turns icy cold. It's clear the hug is meant to provoke me. She turns back to her friends, ignoring me completely.

I clench my jaw, hands balling into fists. I want to march over there and yank her away from that scoundrel Rony. But I force myself to remain seated, not wanting to cause a scene. Never thought my wife would try to get under my skin and it would work so soon. I shouldn’t be affected but that’s my problem. I don’t like to share my stuff. And until Khushi has my name connected to her, I would not let her take such things lightly. If she thinks she can defy me, she has no idea who she is dealing with.

Getting up from my seat, I straighten my suit before giving her a final heated glare and walking out.


To be Continued.


___________________________________________________________________________

‘Love Me Not’ is a mix of the following Romance Tropes:

Age Gap Romance

Forced Proximity

Marriage of Convenience

Enemies to Lovers

Grumpy Sunshine

It’s not one of the usuals I have written so far. So, I guarantee you will love it. 😊


Connect me on Instagram
Connect me on Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Awesome update very very nice. Thanks. Update soon please dear

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Update. Arnav has no interest in marriage but is possesive for Khushi.He definitely has feelings for her. He feels bad that she doesn't stay with them. Loved Arnav 's possessiveness. Khushi also seems strong. Waiting for the next part. Adi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, we will love only if you give us a regular updates like earlier.
    Your irregular ways of updating wouldn't let us to even process what's actually happening. So please be kind to give us an early updates

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting ❤️ ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. well that's great start.. Arnav you can't have everything man.. it is either you are there and be a part of it or you leave not looking behind.. Khushi is right in her own way.. when Arnav have left she doesn't have any other option but to show him the mirror.. Seven years gap in age is not a big issue there are couples who have more than decade gap and marriage is about love, compassion, trust and many things than age.. loved the start.. Thank you Madhu for the update..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting start…I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant....but we all know waiting for you to update is utter waste.... maybe u can fight with me....but the comments n likes number vll prove you wrong...we are all humans... everyone has their own life....it's ok to take time....u can try to update once in month...but you where never give updates...I didn't mean to hurt you...but after reading this beautiful story begining I know to get further updates is going to be a long wait

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome 🙌 love 🥰 it

    ReplyDelete
  9. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete