Like the Page

Total Pageviews

DO YOU FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM? PLEASE DO GUYS :)

Teaser 8 - No One Like You

SEARCH FICTIONS ON THIS BLOG

FREE ON AMAZON PRIME READING

NEW FF: LOVE ME NOT - Chapter 2

 




CHAPTER 2

Khushi Gupta

The graduation ceremony was absolutely wonderful, and already I find myself longing for the camaraderie of my friends and the familiar halls of college. There's a certain nostalgia in knowing I won't be waking up tomorrow to attend classes, catch up with friends, engage in group studies, and partake in the cultural events that defined our college experience. All those moments will be dearly missed. However, amidst this wave of nostalgia, I'm eagerly looking forward to the private party my classmates are throwing tomorrow to commemorate our graduation. As I wonder what to wear and the logistics of getting there—whether I'll be picked up or if I'll have to gather my friends Payal, Lavanya, and Pam along the way—I can't help but anticipate the festivities that await. I haven't discussed it with Dad yet, but I'm certain he won't object; he never has before. As I sit in the car, drained from today's excitement, I suddenly realize we're not headed towards the Gupta mansion as expected. Instead, the car veers towards the route leading to the Raizada Mansion.

“Mom?” I turn to my mother. “Where are we going?”

Mom smiles sweetly at me.

“To your real home, Khushi. Where else? Now that Arnav is back from Manhattan and—”

“Hold on,” I interrupt clenching my jaw. “Why are we going there? And what do you mean Arnav has returned? What has changed if he is here? It’s not that he is going to stay here for long. I bet he has already booked his return flight much in advance.”

“Khushi,” Dad interrupts from the front seat. “Why are you getting so hyper? We are not going to drop you at Raizada mansion and leave. We are just heading there for a talk.”

“What talk?”

“About you and Arnav. His plans to take you along with him if he is returning.” Mom adds.

I roll my eyes.

“His plans? Seriously, Mom? Is this marriage all about him? Nothing about me? My plans?”

“Of course, it is. But don’t you want your relationship to begin? Now your college is over. You should be focussing on your marriage.”

Before I can argue, the car halts inside the gates of the Raizada mansion. I get down from the car before my parents and head inside. I know they wouldn’t understand my point, but Ayush uncle surely would. He is the only one who understands me these days.

“Uncle,” I sprint inside the Raizada mansion, relieved to find him sitting on the couch in the living room. He's still wearing the same outfit from earlier, indicating he just arrived back after my graduation event.

“Khushi,” he greets me with a warm smile and embrace. “Congratulations again on your graduation.”

“Thank you, but please make Mom and Dad understand,” I plead.

He looks behind me and smiles as my parents, Garima and Shashi Gupta, enter the mansion.

“What have they done now?” Uncle asks, meeting my gaze again.

“They want to revisit that old silly discussion,” I say with a frown.

Uncle smiles heavily before patting my cheek. “That old silly discussion needs to happen, Khushi. It's high time.”

His reply makes me frown deeper. I don't want to discuss my marriage tonight of all nights when I should be overjoyed about graduating and looking forward to my future.

Once Uncle welcomes my parents and makes them comfortable on the couch, I turn to face them head-on.

“Okay fine. Whatever you decide, I'm not going to stay under one roof with that man,” I declare sharply.

“Then who do you want to stay with? That idiot Rony?”

That familiar arrogant voice echoes through the silent room. We all turn towards the doorway where Arnav Singh Raizada is standing with his best friend Aman Mathur.

I cross my arms defiantly as Arnav strides towards me, his intense gaze never wavering.

“Rony?” My mom is the first to inquire. “Who is Rony, Khushi?”

“Garima,” Dad interjects sternly, “What are you even asking Khushi? Arnav is making up stories, linking her to someone to shirk his responsibilities.”

“I'm framing stories?” Arnav argues, turning his fiery gaze to my father. “I don't need to stoop that low to rid myself of Khushi, Mr. Gupta. Rony is real and I saw him propose to Khushi today at her graduation.”

The three sets of parental eyes swing back to me in stunned silence.

“Done?” I snap, glaring at Arnav. “Done embarrassing me in front of them?”

“You embarrassed me first, Khushi, not the other way around. Despite knowing Rony has feelings for you, you hugged him right before my eyes?”

“I hugged him because he apologized for proposing without knowing I was apparently taken by some other man. At least lawfully claimed, if nothing else. And why are you questioning me about this, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada? It's not like you haven't hugged other women in the last three years of our marriage!”

“Yeah, I have,” he storms right up to me, our faces mere inches apart as he responds through clenched teeth. “But they didn't propose to me, nor did I have any interest in them. That's the difference.”

“You can't bully me,” I scold, taking a step back as he advances.

“I'm not bullying you, just asking you to draw some boundaries. I don't want people seeing my wife with other men and making me a laughingstock.”

“But I can be a laughingstock in society? That's fine with you?” I stop retreating as he halts his advance, our bodies now separated by only a step.

Arnav glares at me, silently asking me to explain. Since this entire meet is about discussing our marital future, I finally unleash the floodgates of pent-up sentiment.

“I've become a laughingstock in both our families ever since marrying you, but that's fine, right? Our own relatives think I can't satisfy you, so that's why you avoid living with me. But that's okay? My friends stalk your social media, see you out partying with women, and conclude you're probably sleeping with them behind my back. That shouldn't bother me, correct?”

A heavy silence hangs in the air as our admissions cut deep, hurting our fathers more than us at this moment. But I decide to drive my point home once and for all.

“We both got roped into this marriage because of our parents. All this time, I've tolerated enough disrespect and embarrassment, but not anymore. This is my life, and I'll live it how I want with who I want. You don't get a say in that, Arnav. If that suits you, fine. If not, you're free to cut this knot between us and free yourself. I'll be the happiest if you choose the latter, by the way.”

Turning on my heel, I storm out of the suffocating room, not stopping when Arnav calls out my name. I've said my piece to this cold-hearted, arrogant jerk.

****************

Next Day

I spent the last night at Lavanya's place. Of course, I had to inform Mom and Dad about it as I didn't want them worrying about my whereabouts.

The bedroom door creaks open and I hastily wipe my tears, not wanting anyone to see me in this vulnerable state. But it's only my best friends, Pam and Payal with Lavanya, rushing in with worried expressions.

“Khushi! Are you okay?” Pam says, pulling me into a warm embrace.

I shake my head, unable to hold back the fresh flow of tears.

“Lavanya told us you are here since last night. What happened?”

When I came here last night, I told Lavanya everything but Payal and Pam have no clue. So as the three of them surround me on the bed, offering tissues and reassuring words, I give them the brief context of my heated argument with Arnav last night and they respond with a mixture of rage, comfort and support.

“That arrogant prick! How dare he speak to you that way?” Pam fumes.

“This was exactly why I warned you, Khushi. Men like him only know how to sleep around and disrespect their wives,” Payal chimes in, rubbing my back soothingly.

Lavanya strokes my hair, her voice soft but firm. “Exactly. You don't need that kind of toxicity in your life. If he can't appreciate the wonderful woman you are or this marriage, it's his loss.”

Hearing my tribe's words of solidarity and tough love, I start to feel the anger and embarrassment subside, replaced by a hardened resolve. They're right - I don't deserve to be treated like this, especially on what should be the happiest day of my life so far.

Pam links her arm through mine with a mischievous grin. “Good that we are going out tonight and celebrating our graduation. Let’s show that arrogant prick what he's missing out on.”

I can't help but smile and nod as Payal and Lavanya whoop in excitement. No arrogant man will spoil this milestone for me - not when I have the strongest support system right here with my best friends.

Tonight, we're going to party like we deserve. And as for Arnav Singh Raizada? Well, he can go to hell.

Today we're headed to the private party organized by our batchmates at the La Pearl Club. We're allowed to bring a plus one, but none of us used that option because the four of us are enough for each other. We don't need any extras. All we care about is enjoying this night to the fullest.

I stare back at the dress I've chosen to wear tonight. It's a shiny, skintight black mini dress with a long overcoat-style jacket that somehow makes the look even sexier. The dress hugs every curve and leaves little to the imagination.

I get up from the bed, showing them my outfit choice. “Do you think this is too sexy for the party?”

Lavanya whistles as she looks me over in the mirror. “It's going to kill every boy tonight who sees you in that, that's for sure.”

“Not boys, La...” Pam interjects. “Men. We're officially grown ups now, so we have to deal with men, not boys anymore.”

“I think that dress is perfect for our first real drinks too.” Payal giggles.

She's right, that reminds me of the promise we made in school - to have our first alcoholic drinks after we graduated, not before. We're fulfilling that pact tonight.

We pull each other into a group hug, then let out excitedly, “Let's rock it, girls!”

Just like that, my mood lifts. My friends are the real cheerleaders in my life. With them by my side, I don't need anyone or anything else. We're going to take on the night and the world.

**************

La Pearl Club

We drive to the club, excitement buzzing in the air as we approach the venue for tonight's graduation party. As we enter La Pearl, thumping music and flashing lights assault my senses. The dance floor is packed with our batchmates, drinks in hand, dancing and laughing together.

“There they are!” Pam shouts over the noise, pointing towards our group of friends. They wave us over enthusiastically. We make our way through the crowd, exchanging hugs and congratulations all around. For this moment, I allow myself to get swept up in the celebratory atmosphere, pushing thoughts of my family matters.

That's when I spot a nervous-looking Rony approaching. Poor guy, he must still be rattled from Arnav's outburst yesterday. I give him a friendly smile as he reaches us.

“Hi Khushi,” he says, eyes darting around like he's searching for someone.

Lavanya, Payal and Pam politely excuse themselves, giving us space to talk.

“Hey Rony, is everything okay? Who are you looking for?”

He swallows hard. “I'm looking for my...plus one.”

His plus one? I furrow my brow in confusion. Before I can ask for clarification, Aman Mathur suddenly appears at Rony's side with a sly grin.

“I'm his plus one,” Aman announces.

Aman? What is going on here? Why would Rony bring Aman as his date? He doesn’t even know him. I glare at Rony questioningly.

“He's your plus one? Seriously?”

Rony just shrugs meekly. “He's better than your plus one at least.”

My plus one? Now I'm really lost. Rony gestures behind me and I whirl around to find none other than Arnav Singh Raizada sitting at the bar, drink in hand. He raises his glass in a mocking toast, smirking arrogantly.

My jaw drops as the realization hits me like a freight train. No...he wouldn't dare!

“That's right,” Aman's voice cuts through my shock. “Arnav is your plus one for tonight. How could a husband miss his wife's graduation party, after all? Right, Rony?”

He slings his arm around the nervous younger man in a teasing manner. The audacity of these two! I immediately move to shove Aman's arm off Rony's shoulders.

“Stop bullying my friend,” I snap.

Aman raises his hands in surrender. “And you stop insulting my friend.”

I clench my jaw, knowing exactly who he's referring to. Of course he would take Arnav's side. Aman sighs heavily, dropping his cavalier act.

“Look Khushi, I'm not taking sides here, but you and Arnav need to sit down like adults and talk things through. Just ignoring each other and fighting like cats and dogs isn't going to work.”

I scoff at his unsolicited advice. “Oh really? And who are you to advise us that? A marriage counsellor?”

“I wish I was,” Aman chuckles dryly. “I guess sorting out your mess of a marriage might give me some experience in that field.”

Rolling my eyes, I start backing away. “I don't know why you two are here, but tell your so-called friend he can't snatch away my happiness. If he's here to ruin my time with my friends, then he's sorely mistaken.”

With that, I turn and rejoin Lavanya, Payal and Pam where they're mingling with the rest of our friends. I take a deep breath, trying to push Arnav and his audacious stunt from my mind. Tonight is meant for celebration with my girls and other friends. I refuse to let that arrogant prick spoil it for me.

The others greet me with wide smiles and fresh drinks, blissfully unaware of the drama that just unfolded. I steal a glance towards the bar, unsurprised to find Arnav's intense gaze locked on me. He holds up his glass again in that same infuriating smirk. My lips curl into a taunting smile of my own as I spin away, and take off the overcoat to reveal the real black mini dress I am wearing, also swaying my hips exaggeratedly for his benefit.

If he thinks showing up unannounced is going to intimidate me, he's sadly mistaken. Two can play at this game. Let the games begin, Mr. Raizada. This is my turf now.

I grab Lavanya, Pam and Payal, pulling them towards the other side of the bar counter and we order our drinks. As the music pulses through the club as I down my first real alcoholic beverages, the liquid almost making me want to puke. This is not what I’d thought drinks tasted. Eeks!! But since Arnav Singh Raizada has his eyes only on me, I down another shot, the liquid courage finally igniting a reckless spark inside me.

We then hit the dance floor with wild abandon. We cheer each other as we grind shamelessly to the pounding bass. I lock eyes with Arnav once more, making sure he's watching as my body moves with the music. His jaw is clenched tightly, armor finally cracking under the weight of my blatant defiance. Good. Let him see that his arrogant stunt has failed to shake me. Tonight, I'm simply unleashing the free spirit he's forced me to suppress for far too long.

As the night stretches on, I let the music and alcohol wash over me in crashing waves of liberation. I am woman - powerful, confident, uninhibited. And my husband will bear witness to it all, whether he approves or not.


To be Continued.



Note: Okay, it's high time I try to fix my blog posting schedule. With my books and all the other stuff happening on the other side of my world, I'm really unable to focus here. It pricks me as much as it hurts you all that I'm delaying my posts here. So, I've challenged myself now to post at least once every week or max if I am late... then once every 10 days and not delay than that. Just keeping my fingers crossed. 

Also, let me tell you this fiction that I'm writing here on the blog now... won't be longer than 20-25 chaps (like I write in my books) although they will still be around 80K words in length overall for sure. 

So, just stay with me friends and I'm going to make this space that we all have created here the best of our fictional world with Arshi and their sizzling chemistry :) 















___________________________________________________________________________

‘Love Me Not’ is a mix of the following Romance Tropes:

Age Gap Romance

Forced Proximity

Marriage of Convenience

Enemies to Lovers

Grumpy Sunshine

It’s not one of the usuals I have written so far. So, I guarantee you will love it. 😊


Connect me on Instagram
Connect me on Twitter

15 comments:

  1. I do hope they talk once kush cools off ..Arnav can't impose after ignoring for so long ..wait for her to cool off and yes like Aman said talk like adults

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Update. Khushi is quite young and it's natural in her age to get excited about parties and friends. Khushi is partially correct her parents must also take her opinion. Khushi's dad is quite supportive. Loved the way Khushi cleared Arnav's misconception. Both are very possessive for each other. Khushi has faced a lot but don't think Arnav has any other relationships
    Aman and Arnav were already present in the bar. Aman is the only sensible person. Khushi is challenging Arnav but Arnav also must not impose on Khushi. He should act softly so Khushi also understand him. Thanks for the amazing Update😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome update. Going to be interesting to see both Arnav and Khushi behaviours

    ReplyDelete
  4. great update ...liking their cat and mouse fight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good too see you, very glad to hear your update schedule

    ReplyDelete
  6. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always your stories Arshi are truly beautiful. But please, if possible, don't be too late for updates. At least in a week or two. please dear. Thanks for understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank for the note

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for updating love ❤️ it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful update. Look forward to another update. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aman is Rony's plus one ! Can't stop laughing.....rofl...Lol....poor Rony. Hilarious!!!!
    Arnav deserves what he is getting. Good going Khushi.
    Can't wait to read how their love story unfolds. Looking forward to the next update. Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome…❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't let any third person opinion to rule your life.talk to arnav try yo clear out path and then decide whether you both want yo live together and work on your relationship or what to live separately. But if you let others opinion then you will regret later.so for better future sit ,talk with cool mind and then decide what you both want.

    ReplyDelete