Like the Page

Total Pageviews

DO YOU FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM? PLEASE DO GUYS :)

The Pursuit (A Spy Romance)

One Hellish Desire

SEARCH FICTIONS ON THIS BLOG

NEW Swoony Romance on my Premium Content

ROYAL VOWS - SAMPLE CHAPTERS 1 to 3




For those who have read my recent new eBook - No Wedding Bells, know already who Ruhi Singh is. So will Ruhi find her Happily-Ever-After? 

Standalone Romance Novel


Ruhi Singh

Happily-Ever-After is not what I was looking for after a heart-breaking love tragedy in my life 9 years ago. I still believe in love but it’s simply not for me anymore. Burying the demons that scared me, I have stepped into a new world to make a fresh identity and only when I thought things will sort out for me now, I get an invitation from the Royals of Mahalpur for teaching Painting to someone from their family. I take it up as they are ready to pay me a huge sum for this three-month tutoring. Least did I know life was throwing a challenge named Raunak Malhotra, the eldest son of the Royal family, who had an attitude as high as Mt Everest and anger which could burn a whole city in seconds.


Raunak Malhotra

Happily-Ever-After is not what I was looking for after I lost my wife, 4 years ago in a car crash. Now all I have that reminds me of her is my four-and-half year old daughter, Palak. Burying the bruises of my loss, I tried to step ahead but my family thinks I have changed. I am not the one I used to be once. To alter their beliefs, I agree to this stupid idea of learning a new skill which can calm my mind and bring me out of my loss forever. I know that’s freaking impossible but I will do it for them. Least did I know life was throwing a challenge named Ruhi Singh, my new painting teacher, who had a heart of gold and was as damaged as I am at the moment. We are both scarred, so how the hell can we soothe each other?

Can two broken souls unite and get their happily-ever-after?


READ ON AMAZON KINDLE

BUY  PDF (Indian Readers ) by Netbanking/eWallet 

International Readers/Indian Readers can BUY PDF by CARD HERE

READ EXCERPT 1

READ EXCERPT 2


SAMPLE CHAPTERS


Chapter 1


Ruhi

They say every canvas is a journey all its own. People maintain diaries to write down their feelings and I, Ruhi Singh, use the canvas to paint them. Life hasn’t been fair with me in the past and it took me a few years to overcome that gloom. I still cringe when I look back at that silly girl, I was at 21, who fell in love with a wrong person, wasting my feelings and tears over a rich man who never really loved me back. Wish I could make some sensible decisions in my life then like I do now. Fortunately, after all the mishaps in my life 9 years ago including the 6 years of me seeking medical attention and mental counselling, I could stand on my own feet and start this small painting institute for the interested groups from age 5 and above with a team of my social group friends, having the same passion and skill set for this art as me. We named it Silver Lining Painting Institute where we teach all types of painting like Oil painting, watercolor painting, pastel painting and in all forms of art like Modern art, abstract, impressionism, expressionism and more. We support both online and offline teaching methods based on the student’s requirement and offer short-term as well as long-term courses which lasts from one to three months, respectively. So, in short, Silver Lining is now my business and I have been running it successfully for the past 3 years.


“Ruhi”


I turn around to attend to my friend Veena who steps in the little classroom where I am teaching four young girls the basics of Watercolor painting.


“You have a visitor.”


Visitor? I nod and turn to my students again.


“Please continue the assignment. I will be right back”


The girls happily focus on their respective canvas and as I walk out, Veena grabs my arm.

“You won’t believe who’s here.”

“Your excitement says we have a new student for enquiry.”

“Well,” she giggles. “I am not sure about that but they are wealthy for sure. You know The Royals from Mahalpur?”


I have never heard about them.

“No?” She shouts as if I made a mistake by not knowing who they are. “Ruhi, they are Royals. How could you not know about them?”

“Maybe I was too busy to browse or you can say, I try not to get very familiar with wealthy people anymore”

“Seriously?” she frowns. “And why is that?”


I don’t want to tell her that’s because one such wealthy man broke my heart nine years ago.


“How about we actually go to my cabin and find out what someone from the Royals is doing at our Painting Institute?” I changed the subject.

“Perfect” Veena smiles and we both head to my small cabin at the ground floor of the building. A tall man dressed in a black suit is standing at the door.

“That’s a bodyguard,” Veena adds, holding her blush. It’s very usual for her to fall for tall men who had a strong build up. I have known Veena for two years now and that ability of hers to fall for a stranger’s looks has never changed.


The guard gives me an assessing look before allowing me inside my own cabin. I am not very impressed by that. This is my institute and I will never appreciate guests treating me like I might harm them.


“I will wait here” Veena exclaims, glancing between me and that bodyguard. I am sure she wants to make small talk with him. I don’t force her to change her mind and get inside my cabin.


A 60 years old woman is admiring my paintings hung on the wall behind my desk. I don’t miss to notice her designer Saree and Sandals which might have cost her lacs of rupees. For sure as Veena said, she belongs to some Royal family.


I clear my throat. “How can I help you?”

She turns around, becoming alert of my presence.

“Do you run this place?”

“I run this institute, yes. My name is Ruhi Singh.”

“Nice to meet you Ruhi”


Her warm smile eases off the frown on my face and I gesture at her to get seated. She looks twice at the chair I am offering her to sit on, before taking it. I may not have classy furniture to suit her standards but they are still the best for comfort.


“I am Shakuntala Malhotra, from the Royal family of Mahalpur.”

“Nice meeting you Ma’am” I show respect followed by a smile.

“I have heard a lot about your paintings and the way your team trains the students here.”

“That’s my pleasure. I didn’t know we were famous outside this city” I snorted. “Would you like to have some tea or coffee perhaps?”

“No thank you. I am getting late to meet my friend and since I had heard so much about your painting institute, I decided to pay a visit myself.”

“That’s very kind of you. If you had time, I would have loved to show you more of our work and how we function.”

“Some other time” She smiles and then gets up to leave. I walk her to the door where she halts. “Actually, I had an offer for you.”


I don’t understand.

“Offer? What kind of offer?” I clear my throat.

She hesitates a bit while I wait for her to share.

“I know you run only online and offline classes but have you ever thought of teaching this art at your student’s home?”


Okay. I never thought about it. Shakuntalaji takes a step towards me.


“I want you to come and teach painting at our Royal palace in Mahalpur.”

“What?” I am too loud which surprises even the guard standing at the door for her.

“Don’t worry about your accommodation and food, it will be taken care of. This will include your return flight tickets and some additional perks and allowances too. Like, if you wish to take a tour of the town during weekends, you will be provided with a car and driver who can take you anywhere you desire. It will basically cover everything you haven’t even thought of yet. Just in case we miss anything, you can always demand and we will be happy to cover that too”


I am dumbfounded. Is she serious?


“There is no hurry to reply to me at this instant. I know you will have to talk to your team and maybe even your family before taking up this offer. But please think about it and let me know in two days. Here is my card.”


She opens her fancy clutch and hands me a visiting card with the Royal Logo ‘RM’ embossed on it, probably by gold.

“This could change your institute’s future Miss Singh. Please think about it”

“I will call you soon,” I say before leading her out again.


The bodyguard follows us till I drop her to their posh car. She gives me a proud smile before asking her driver to start the engine.


“What did she say?” Veena takes the card from my hand once the car is off the vicinity of our Institute.

“She has one exciting offer for us and I don’t know what to do”


I tell Veena everything and she is as thrilled and surprised as I am at the moment.


“I cannot believe the Royals want you to teach painting to one of them. It’s so freaking insane. I mean, they can hire anyone from the best art institute. Why us?”

“That’s my question. Why us? We have been running successfully for the past three years but have not flourished outside Mumbai. She told me she has heard about us and was all praises of our work so far. Maybe her friend whom she was here to meet might have given her some positive feedback about us and that’s how she made up her mind. What do you think?” I seriously need some input right now.

“Maybe” Veena nods. “So? What are you going to do?”


I don’t know. I have never been outside Mumbai for long and not to mention my sister Avni and her husband Aryan Bohra with whom I stayed from past three years, ever since they married, are not going to let me take up this offer. Knowing my past medical history, they are both still very protective for me.


“Look” Veena keeps the card on the table. “To be very honest, this is a golden chance to flourish in the business. The Royals will have so many contacts. Just imagine if they give good feedback about us, we can have more students which means more business and isn’t that what we always wanted? We need publicity, Ruhi. Believe it or not but that’s the only way we can get to more and more people and bring awareness amongst them that only work and money is not enough. You always keep saying everyone needs to find time to cultivate a hobby. To have something that can reduce their daily stress. This is that silver lining we were waiting for years. We can spread this awareness to a large group using this opportunity. Give it a thought. Maybe after this contract, we could also expand our modes of teaching and add home tutoring as well in the list? It’s not bad. We have volunteers who would love to teach students at their home.”


“I know,” I sigh. “I know what you are saying is absolutely right and beneficial for us but I don’t know if –” I pause. It’s hard to explain. “Well, I will think about it.” I promise.


Veena nods, understanding it’s hard to decide something so huge without careful consideration. I don’t have time to ponder over it at this moment as my students are waiting but I will surely not let this slip my mind. I pick the card from the table and put it in my purse.


*****************


Bohra House


This is my younger sister Avni’s home where she stays with her in-laws. Avni and her Business tycoon husband Aryan Bohra had put this weird condition of making me move in with them in this house after their marriage. I had accepted it considering I would soon move out once I had established my painting institute, but despite that it never happened. Whenever I brought up this topic, they would instantly deny me and keep giving numerous excuses of needing me here the most. I know they don’t need me. They are just being over protective.


“Ruhi? You are not eating well today. Are you doing fine?” Avni interrupts my chain of thoughts. I give her a weak smile.

“I got an offer today” I shared my issue. “But it’s not the regular one. I mean, I will have to teach painting to someone at their home.”


Avni goes blank and Aryan slows down eating.

“Home? But that’s not something you do. You can always teach them online if they cannot make it to your institute. Why go home?” Avni argues.

“I couldn’t argue over it as the Offer is really damn good.” I reply.

“Good in what sense?” Aryan digs.

“I will get to see a new place.” The smile on my face brings them both to a pause. Avni reaches my arm over the table and presses it.

“Ruhi, are you not happy here with us? I mean, it’s been long since we all went for some holidays together but if that’s what you think is missing right now, then we all can plan a family outing soon”


I lose my calm.


“Avni, I am not talking about a family outing. And you two please stop treating me like a baby. You cannot cage me here forever. It’s high time I start staying independent. Tell me one thing, how many trips have you both had so far, without me and the family? It’s like you two are sacrificing your privacy for me and that’s hurting me even more.”


Avni stares at me in disbelief.

“What did you say? You feel caged here?” Avni’s eyes tear and I hate my words immediately. Out of all that explanation I gave her, she picked this phrase to argue?


“Avni, I didn’t mean it that way. But you have to understand I cannot be here forever. I have been practically staying with you and your in-laws for three years and though you all love me and I love you back, it feels odd to me. I know I have done my share of mistakes in the past and even paid a huge price for it. But I won’t repeat those mistakes if that’s what is bothering you. I can look after myself now, but if you don’t even let me try, I might never be confident. In fact, I have been wanting to have this conversation for a long time but you both have been so over sweet and protective that I had to wait until I get the right opportunity. This is that chance Avni. I want to explore my life again. I cannot be dependent on you two forever.”


“Ruhi but-”


“Avni wait,” Aryan interrupts. “I think she is right. If doing this makes Ruhi happy, we should support her.”

“You too think so Aryan?” Avni scorns her husband. “You have always taken my side over this topic and today you are supporting Ruhi’s decision to walk out of this house?”


“No, you don’t understand baby” Aryan quickly pulls Avni to him and rubs her back to soothe her tears. “Ruhi just wants to try something on her own. Let her try. And you and I will always be there if she needs us. But Ruhi,” he turns to me. “I am not convinced that you leave this house yet. You want to take up this offer, please do. This will give you enough time to think and materialize if you want to move out of this house and stay independently. And whenever you are sure about it, let us know. We will be happy in whatever decision you make. After all that’s what we all want. You to be independent and happy.”


Oh, I am so grateful he understood my point. Aryan might be my brother-in-law but he has taken care of me like a brother for the last three years. I can never thank him enough and his love for my sister Avni is out of the world. He had waited for six long years for her and once he found her, there was no going back. Avni and Aryan’s story still makes me believe true love exists. My only remorse is that I never found one.


After allowing me to take up this offer, Aryan and Avni both wanted to know where I was going and whom I would tutor? I told them it was for someone from the Royals of Mahalpur and they both took a sigh of relief. Though the Bohra family had never met the Royals, Aryan had a strong belief I was safe there. Avni had insisted that he talk to the Royals and let them know I was part of the Bohra family too but I denied them straight away. I wanted the Royals to treat me as a tutor and not shower me with luxury and comfort only because my sister was married to one of the Bohra men. So now that this was sorted, I knew what I had to do next. I rushed to my bedroom and dialed Shakuntala Malhotra confirming my approval.

________________________________________________________________


Chapter 2

Raunak

Life sucks. Doesn’t matter how much money, power and luxury you are rolling into. If you don’t have the right person beside you and the right kind of internal peace, even the bed of roses feels like a cradle of thorns. It had been four years since my wife Amrita passed away and I am still trying to balance myself on the ropes of solitude. I am lucky to have a family who cares for me and has never let me grieve alone but at some point, their worry for me felt like sympathy and the world knows Raunak Malhotra hates people’s sympathy.


“Raunak.”


I am still under the shower, when I hear my mother Shakuntala Malhotra knock on the bathroom door. She is one woman who has tried to keep my anger and actions both at bay but I still fail her all the time. I know why she is here.


“Raunak, please come out,” she shouts again and I turn off the Shower knob and grab a fresh towel from the rack.


When I come out in a black robe, Mom holds my arm and drags me to the Maroon recliner at the corner of my bedroom.


“How many times have I told you not to hurt yourself, Raunak?” She shouts, pushing me on the recliner and sits on the small table before it, with the first aid box on her lap.

“It was an accident Maa.”

“Accident?” She glares at me. “Ramu told me everything. Only because you lost the race, you punched the car window? Look how badly your fingers are bruised.”



That’s right. I did that. No big deal and I have no remorse either. I was so frustrated at that moment knowing one of my Stallions who had won almost five races so far, lost today only because my jockey was bribed and even went missing after the race. This was insane. I can forgive anyone but not cheaters. So, when I got a call from my manager stating all this, I couldn’t control my anger. It came out on the car window in no time and I bruised my fist.


Maa cleans my wounds and bandages it.


“How could you do this Raunak? I am worried if this continues, you are going to set a wrong example on Palak”


The moment she says this, I withdraw my arm from hers.

“Maa can we please not get Palak into this conversation? She wasn’t there when it happened and you know I am always on my best behavior when my daughter is around.”


Maa sighs in disappointment.


“Your anger scares me Raunak. It’s not good for your health, your daughter and for your public image either. You know how much the media loves you. They are waiting to print news of your arrogance all the time and..”

“I will be careful”



I stride to my walk-in closet full of designer suits, traditional attires and other men’s accessories and open the left drawer to take out my branded watch. I bought it last month when I went to Paris. I am crazy about watches and this one marked the 90th one in my collection.


“You always say you will be careful Raunak but there are no improvements in you so far. You need to tone down your anger.”

“Maa.”

“No,” she doesn’t let me speak. “Not this time Raunak. You had promised to take my help if needed and that’s exactly why I have decided the best way to keep your anger in check is to divert your attention elsewhere.”


Now I know where this is getting.


“I am not interested in re-marriage if that’s where you want me to divert to.”


She rolls her eyes.


“I know you are not ready to marry again so I will not push you for that.”

“Thank God.”


I quickly take out a one-button grey suit. I am meeting a friend for a drink.


“I have enrolled your name for a Painting course.”

“What?” I almost drop the suit from my hand. “Painting course? I.. Maa I am not in a mood of learning to Paint”

“Why not? It’s a good hobby. Your father loved it too and Palak,” she pauses. “Your daughter is a fan of her crayons. You know she spends hours coloring in her books. This art runs in our family, Raunak.”


Yes. I know my four-year old daughter Palak is fond of coloring but that definitely doesn’t mean I am interested in taking up a painting course.


“I don’t have time for this,” I retaliate.

“I know that too,” she smirks as if knowing that would be my excuse. “That’s why I hired your tutor to stay here with us during that three-month course tenure.”


Seriously? I gape at Maa who gives me a winning smile.


“And don’t worry, I haven’t hired any fancy tutor for you. I know there are hundreds of reputed Painting institutes in the country but I wanted someone from the low level to take care of this. Someone known to me has recommended her and I have seen her works. They are beautiful.”


“Maa this is ridiculous. How can you take such a big decision without even consulting me?”


“I am your mother Raunak and a mother always thinks the best for her children. Your tutor will come next week so you have enough time to decide what slot of the day you would dedicate to her.”


Maa gets up while I stare at her in disbelief.


“I suppose you are going to see your friend.”


She knows everything, doesn’t she?

“I will be late”

“I want you to be late,” she grins. “You need to have a social life again Raunak.”


By that she means, I should mingle more with women. She still believes doing so will help me find a bride for myself and a mother to Palak.


“No thanks, Mom. I am happy being a single father.”


It is so hard to argue with Mom at times.


“But is Palak happy with that?”

I frown and Maa strokes my arm as she continues.

“Palak needs a mother, Raunak. I know you look after all her needs but ..”


A phone call diverts my attention from her.


“I am getting late Mom.”



She knows I always avoid this topic.

“Fine. Have a good time with your friend.”


She leaves the room and I quickly start getting dressed. Whatever Maa told me about Palak needing a mother, despite me being there to take care of all her needs, has left a bitter taste in my mouth.


After 30 minutes, I step inside my daughter’s room where she spends most of her time playing, but right now, she is off to sleep. I tiptoe to the bed occupied by my cute Princess. Stroking her cheeks gently, I push away a curly strand of hair and kiss the top of her forehead. I can admire my daughter throughout the day if I had to. She is the most beautiful baby on this planet and also the best gift I could ever ask for. After Amrita’s death, my life would have either stopped or taken a dangerous turn hadn’t Palak been there beside me. She was hardly five months old when Amrita met that horrible accident. I wasn’t in the city and couldn’t even see her one last time before that tragedy. The mere remembrance of that day makes me cringe and hurt myself for not being there for my best friend, my wife, my Amrita.


Exhaling hard, I get back on my feet and draw the quilt on Palak. She tosses gently and I pat her to sleep again. I was told she had a play date today at one of her friend’s house and she enjoyed those two hours to the fullest. Despite having a full time Nanny for Palak, I am still worried if she is getting everything she deserves. I know spending all day with her is practically impossible as I have enough workload to take care of. But I still manage to skip that on weekends which I utilize only for my family time. Why does Maa still think Palak needs a mother? I feel Palak is happy with me alone and everyone in the family loves her to the core. Having so many people surrounding her, will it matter if she doesn’t have a mother? I hope not. Though Palak has never asked me about her mother, I am sure that question is soon going to arise as she grows up and though I am going to tell her about Amrita’s accident, I hope she never asks me for a replacement Mom. I don’t think I can ever marry again.


**************

The bartender heads my way as I settle down on the velvet bar stool of the Imperial Club, the one which my maternal cousin Vihaan owns. But despite being cousins, we don’t get along well. Our ideologies don’t match. Today I’m here to meet my friend Rajveer Chopra. We studied in the same University at Stanford, California. Having similar likes and hobbies, we instantly bonded and were buddies for a decade. He stays in Melbourne, Australia now where he works as a CFO of a multinational Telecom company. Rajveer was always good at stock market, shares, equity and so much more that I wondered one day he would end up marrying Money!! He is here in India for a week to meet his parents and couldn’t leave again without meeting me once.


“One Vodka Martini. Shaken,” I order.

“Make those two please.”

Rajveer is here. He pats my back as we hug each other.

“How’s the Royal doing besides scaring people by his anger?” He takes another bar stool beside me.

“Don’t you start that again.” I frown.

“Sorry. I know you must be hearing it from Aunty all the time. Anyway, how are you? How’s Palak?”

“I am good. Palak is fine. What about you?”

“Same.”


I can read his expression and tell he is not in the best of his mood.

“What a lie,” I sigh. “Disappointment is written all over your face, Rajveer.”

“Is it? Then maybe I am not covering it up well.” He winks.


As our drinks arrive, we quickly gulp it down. I don’t understand. Rajveer according to me has got the best life. He is doing what he loves doing – managing finances for his Australian Employer. He has loving parents, a sister who dotes on him and he recently married a well-established woman, Ananya Mathur who is a social media influencer for a famous fashion brand in New York.


“I am planning a divorce” Rajveer blurts out, shocking me.

“Divorce? Why??”

“It’s not going to work Raunak. Ananya and I have no time for each other nor can we choose to leave the respective countries we are working in and settle elsewhere, together. She can’t leave the USA and I cannot leave Australia. It’s a huge sacrifice and I totally agree if she cannot move in with me here. I wouldn’t do that for her either.”


Okay. I am still confused, but I don’t intrude and let him talk.


“We have been married for like eight months now you know, and stayed with each other for not more than a week.” He adds.

“What? Seriously? I thought you keep travelling to each other at least once a month and..”

“No, we don’t. Travelling frequently is not something we both enjoy doing. So, either way, this isn’t working. I am going to speak to Ananya soon about this.” He orders one more shot for us. “Anyway, let’s not get into my personal life. What about you? I heard you have invested in a hydro power plant project?”

I nod.

“It’s a private company but doing great so far. Once this project completes, we will have sorted out electricity problems in many nearby villages. You know how much that means to me.”

“Of course, it does. I did a check on this company you invested in. They are secured financially which means your money won’t be at loss.”


I know Rajveer is a master in analyzing finances, but I don’t do less homework either when I decide to invest my money somewhere. I’m already aware of what he told me just now. Nevertheless, we talk, drink and eat for almost two hours and then part ways to get back to our respective lives.


It is only when I reach home, I remember from next week I have to free up time for the Painting sessions which means the next three months are going to be torturous. I can tell Maa I am not interested in this and make her cancel the enrollment but I won’t do that. Maa has tolerated all my nuisance mood swings, anger, frustration and inappropriate behavior in public ever since Amrita died and all she wants to do is help me come out of this grief. It’s not that I am sulking or weeping every day wishing my wife was alive. I haven’t given up the determination to do the best for my family. I have expanded our business of heritage hotels in India and since I always had a special affinity for Horses, I now even race my own horses and have partnership with some commercial farms where these horses are bred. Overall, I am doing exceptionally well to keep myself occupied all the time to avoid thinking about what I have lost in life. But Mom still thinks I am no longer the same man I used to be. I am easily annoyed and I don’t show interest in socializing with people like I used to earlier. Moreover, she is worried I might end up dying as a widower without enjoying the perks of having a life partner in my old days. So, she wants me to change my present lifestyle and give life another chance. Wish it was that easy.

________________________________________________________________


Chapter 3


Ruhi

It’s never easy. At least this is not what I had in mind when I took up this challenge of leaving to an unknown place for tutoring painting lessons to some Royal of Mahalpur. They have sent their Charter plane to pick me up from Mumbai Airport and a lady attendant along to assist me with all the formalities. Aryan and Avni both come to see me off and when they see the attendant, waiting to guide me through the airport procedures, they are equally stunned.


“I am Rose” She introduces herself. “I will be taking care of Miss Singh’s travel and ensure she reaches safely.”


“Hello Rose” I greet her with equal warmth. She is dressed in a formal black pencil skirt with an Off-white Shirt nicely tucked in. She looks smart and a complete professional at the moment. I check my own attire which is nothing smart and formal as compared to hers. I am wearing a simple Anarkali dress with Doris at the back. I wonder if the Royals expect me to have some dress code.

“Don’t worry,” Avni whispers and grabs my hand, dragging me a bit away. “You look gorgeous. Just be confident and let us know when you reach there. Please keep calling me Ruhi. You know I will not be at peace until you call me at least twice daily.”

I grin.

“Now I know how Aryan feels when he goes on business trips,” I tease. “Of course, I will call you. Anyway, now give me a hug and wish me luck.”

“All the best”


We hug and then get back to Aryan and Rose who had a small talk in our absence. Waving my hands at the couple, I finally make my way inside the Private airport with Rose. It’s a two-hour flight to Delhi and once we land, I board a Mercedes car which has the Royal Logo ‘RM’ embossed on the side door. I feel no less than a VIP. After an hour’s drive, the car finally enters the huge iron gates of the Royal Palace in Mahalpur. Rose, who is sitting ahead with the driver, turns to me.


“This is Malhotra Mansion. The Royal family of Mahalpur stays here and so will you for the next three months.”


I smile at her, unable to contain my excitement. This is the first time I am visiting a Palace like this, let alone the one belonging to a Royal family. It’s quite intimidating. The car halts at the porch where a tall man wearing a Light pink Turban awaits us. He opens the door for me and I get down followed by Rose. The palace itself is majestic with enormous windows. My skin prickles with goosebumps seeing so much of history and beauty at a time. It feels like I am into a different world altogether.


“Welcome to Malhotra Mansion Miss Singh, I am Jaywant Mishra.” The man greets me with a stiff smile. “Allow me to show you your room.”


I nod and follow him inside the Mansion.


“I will be staying inside the Palace?” I reconfirm.

“Yes, Miss Singh, any problem?”

“No,” I gulp.


I thought they would allocate me a room outside the Palace, at some guest quarters or something. Never did I think they would let me stay inside the Palace with the family. As I step inside the Palace, my body freezes seeing the vast expanse of the living room with coffered ceilings, ornate floors, artistic wall hangings, Chandeliers and rich gold and cream furniture matching the rest of the theme. I keep walking to the far end where a staircase leads us to the first floor with white marble pillars creating a broad pathway towards the west wing and the east wing of the Mansion.


“That’s the west wing,” Jaywant mentions. “The Royal family stays there and all the guests who visit them occupy the East wing.”


How classic!! I had only read in books about Royals and their unusual mannerisms so I am not really surprised that they separate themselves from their guests in terms of living arrangements. There are ancient sculptures and portraits all over the pathway at the east wing where I am taken and finally, we stop before a huge wooden door.


“This is your room, Miss Singh. Please be comfortable and if you need anything, you can dial the extension 7 and I will be happy to take up your requests.”

“Thank you, Jaywantji”


The extra ‘ji’ which I add at the end of his name brings a smile on the man’s face.


“You are welcome, Miss Singh. Shakuntalaji will see you at the Family Dining room after an hour.”


Dining room? I swallow. Obviously, it’s dinner time.


“Uh, Jaywantji,” I stop him before leaving. “Is there a dress code?”

“Not if you don’t want to. The family doesn’t expect their guests to be formal. You can stay at ease here, Miss Singh.”


That’s great. I have packed enough clothes but looking at this place, I wonder if they would be enough and even suitable to wear around here. I am about to step inside my room when a plastic ball hits my back and I quickly turn around to check who did that. I see someone hiding behind one of those marble pillars where I came from.


“Hello? Who’s there?”


No one answers but I see a small girl in a pink dress hiding behind the pillar. I didn’t get enough time to browse about the Malhotras but I know who stays here in this Palace. Shakuntalaji has two sons. The elder one is Raunak Malhotra who is a widower and has a four-and-half year-old daughter whereas her younger son Brij is recently married to a fashionista, Komal. Shakuntalaji’s husband died a few years ago but they still had an extended family who kept visiting them from time to time and stayed in different parts of the world. Rose, the woman who escorted me from Mumbai to the Mahalpur was Shakuntalaji’s personal secretary and she stayed in the staff building in the same vicinity of the Mansion like Jaywantji of course.


So, coming back to the present, I decide to find out who is hiding behind that pillar. I tiptoe from the other direction, ensuring not to scare the little girl hiding there. As soon as I reach, she jerks and is about to run away but I catch her. She is probably Raunak Malhotra’s daughter and she is too pretty. She has those cute hair curls which keep falling on her forehead. I used to have those too in my childhood.


“Hey beautiful. What’s your name?”


She stares at my face and then shies away. God knows how much I have loved children but ever since that tragedy in my life, I couldn’t focus on building a rapport with them again. Even at my institute, the students below 10 are tutored by my team members while I prefer to teach the older ones. But there is something in the way this baby stares at me, with hope, love and warmth that draws me close to her. She looks like an introvert so I decide to introduce myself first.


“My name is Ruhi. What’s yours?”


A faint smile pops on her lips and she finally speaks.


“Palak.”



I love her soft voice. She grabs the lace of her frock and puts it in her mouth feeling extremely nervous.

“Palak. That’s a cute name. Is that your ball?” I pointed out at the ball which had hit me before. She nods gently. “Do you play alone?”


She shakes her head pointing out to another tall woman rushing to us.


“Palak baby, what are you doing here? Come on. It’s time for your milk.”


Palak quickly hides behind me, refusing to go.


“Sorry,” the woman smiles. “I am her Nanny, Sudha and you must be Miss Singh, the new painting tutor?”

“Yes,” I nod and focus back on Palak. “Hey, you should go drink milk.”

“I don’t like milk.”

“I don’t like milk either but you know what? I still drink one glass of milk every day because that keeps your brain sharp.”

“Sharp?” she repeats trying to understand the meaning behind it.

“Umm. Yes. Like it helps me finish my homework early and it also gives me ideas to draw and paint. Do you like colors?”


“I love crayons. Do you have crayon colors?” She jumps excitedly.

“Yes, I do. How about you go and drink milk for now and then you and I will color using crayon pencils after that?”

“Okay.”


She rushes to her Nanny and holds her hand.


“I want milk.”


Sudha thanks me for convincing Palak and takes her away. Palak keeps waving at me and I wave back at her. That girl has touched a hidden chord in my heart and I hope it doesn’t affect me in the longer run. I finally get inside the room allotted to me and my eyes dart in surprise. Is this just one room? It’s almost five times bigger than the one I stayed in at Bohra House. Every interior in this room invokes the feel of Royal, including the art on the wall, embellished furnishings, majestic lighting and the golden chandelier at the center of the room. I take a moment to admire the room and then open the window which has the view of a sprawling garden before the Palace. I have always loved such landscapes and it has enhanced my painting creativity. So, whilst I am going to tutor the Royal, I am also going to indulge in exploring my art.


The bathroom is equally expensive and grand with branded toiletries. I am awestruck by the designer Shampoo and lotion bottles which I would never dare to open and use as they look so good and no less than some show pieces. I am afraid they will lose their charm if I touch them. It feels like I am in some luxury hotel for a vacation.


Trying not to mess with the stuff, I manage to take a quick shower and then I call Avni to inform I have reached safely. I just can’t wait to meet the Royal family now and know whom I am going to teach painting for the next three months. Can it be Palak? But she is not even 5 yet and our institute has the age criteria limit of five and above. It really skipped my mind to ask Shakuntalaji whom I was going to teach? I don’t mind tutoring Palak even if she doesn’t fit that age limit.


The door knock brings me out of my stance. It’s Rose again.


“Hello, Miss Singh. The Royal family is waiting for you at the Dining room.”

“Oh."


I check myself one last time before making my way out with her. I am glad Rose came to pick me up or else I would never find the Dining room without assistance. On the way, Rose shows me the other areas of the Royal palace like the meeting room where usually the Royals attend their work-related meetings and conferences, the small Mandir (temple) that they have built inside the Palace, and most importantly Palak’s playroom. I ask her if I will be meeting only Shakuntalaji for dinner or will it be the whole Royal family and when she tells me Shakuntalaji wants to introduce me to the whole family, I feel the pressure building in my heart. There was a time during my medical counselling years when I avoided talking to unknown people or befriended. Glad now I didn’t suffer from that phobia anymore.


“We are here,” Rose mentions opening the huge door which I assume leads to the dining room. I get inside and Rose follows me just in time.


TO CONTINUE READING YOU CAN READ ON AMAZON KINDLE or BUY PDF from the links given above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment